Thursday, May 10, 2012

Allergy Alert

Today was an exciting day at our house.  Not a good kind of exciting but the scary kind of exciting.


I was at work all morning when we my cell phone rang around 12:30.  I looked down and it was the girl's school calling.  I was not alarmed as I had emailed the secretary the day before with a question so I thought she was just calling me about that.  Boy was I wrong.  I answered and it was the other secretary calmly telling me that Sophia had taken a tiny bite of a candy bar that contained peanuts.  For those of you who do not know Sophia has a SEVERE peanut allergy.  She is the type of kid that can not even sit next to someone who is eating a peanut butter sandwich.  Just smelling it can cause a reaction.  We carry an epi pen everywhere we go and they keep one with her at all times at school.

So imagine my alarm when I receive the call!!  I told them to give her a benedryl immediately.  I talked them through what to  watch for in case they needed to use the epi pen and that I would leave and head straight there.  Thankfully she did not ingest any of the peanut.  She took only a tiny bite and spit it out immediately.  

The children in her class are all aware of her allergy so they were quite alarmed as well.  I was told there were several children crying (including Sophia).  To top it all off there was a substitute teacher (bless her heart).   I talked to her when I got there and she was taking some aspirin and going for a Dt. Coke! Ha!  I am pretty sure she doesn't get paid enough for all of today's excitement!!



Praise the Lord, Sophia is fine.  She has had two rounds of benedryl and seems to be doing fine.  I brought her home and she took a little nap and seemed fine the rest of the night.  I am so grateful to all those at her school that helped and am thanking the Lord for keeping my little angel safe today!!


And here is my other angel...Michaela!!  Love these two little ladies!




No comments:

Post a Comment